Welcome to our guide on best running shoes for Supination! If your feet have high arches or you run on your feet’s out edges then this guide is worth reading. If you experience supination then it can be one of the primary reasons that you experience plantar fasciitis or shin splints.
More than 85% of the people don’t wear the right pair and it is a significant number of people. Even in the army, approximately 60% to 80% of U.S. military recruits face running injury. Now a wrong pair of running shoes can easily be a culprit here.
However, the good thing is if you are able to find the right pair of running shoes for your workout and activity then you will be able to reduce pain and recover from your injury quicker than you think.
In this guide, we’ll provide you with some information on what Supination is and what features you need to consider in a running pair to eradicate this problem. We’ll also provide you with some of the best shoes for supination for both men and women.
So let’s get going with the buying guide first!
What is High Arches (Supination)?
In simple words, Supination means that while running your foot rolls outwards. Supination is also called underpronation. As the word implies, it is the opposite of overpronation.
In overpronation, while running the feet roll inwards. Supination isn’t a problem if you don’t run. It means when walking underpronation is not an issue at all. You will only feel the pain when you run. The use of unsuitable running pair can cause an injury e.g. plantar fasciitis or shin splints.
You must understand that Supination isn’t a disease and it doesn’t occur due to some magical curse or a plague. You can correct it by wearing the right pair of running shoes that must align with the requirements of your feet in particular.
What Makes the Best Running Shoes for High Arches!
Selecting the best option is not always an easy job. There are so many brands that offer running shoes for supinating feet. Finding the best option is surely an eschewing task but don’t worry, this guide will provide you with all the details you’re going to need to find a perfect pair.
Most manufacturers of running shoes differentiate them in three different categories. These include neutral, overpronation and Supination. You need to look for a running pair that the company categorizes as mid-to-high arched or neutral to Supinated.
These running shoes are categorized as both Supination and neutral shoes. The primary factor to personalize the hoes according to your requirements is the size of the arches. This can be low, middle or high.
Therefore, if you have very high arches then you should look to buy a full Supination pair. In the case of medium arches, you should buy a neutral pair. But don’t consider this a standard because we all have different feet and they continue to change their shape throughout the day.
Among the major challenges that runners with Supination face are the shock absorbing feature of their pair. During running, these people face a lot of impact on their feet and it will cause a lot of problem to their lower legs. In order to cope with this issue, the shoe needs to provide plenty of cushioning. More the cushioning is, the better it is for your feet.
Extra cushioning is always good but your feet should remain comfortable and they should be able to move flexibly as well. If your running pair is flexible, it will be able to distribute the ground impact across the feet evenly. The shock spreads out across the foot rather than the out edges.
It is important that you must get the right size for your feet when it comes to running shoes. If your shoes don’t fit you then it will only worsen the issues of Supination. There are not many sizing options for supinators because most of the people overpronate. Therefore, you need to be nosy when it comes to getting the right size and feel absolutely comfortable in it.
Of course, who doesn’t like to buy a product that lasts for a long time! We even forget about high prices when we know that the product is going to worth every penny. Of course, these specifically designed shoes don’t come in cheap and for this reason, you have to look at their durability so that they can last for a good period of time while you continue to sprint.
Breathability is a must have if you want your feet to relax in the shoes. It not only contributes to eliminating odors but will also keep your feet free of sweat even if you have spent hours running. Therefore, the shoes you are considering must feature breathable materials such as mesh so that moistures wick out without any issue.
Top 10 Best Running Shoes for High Arches 2019
5 Best Women’s Shoes Reviews
The lightweight imported material is used to construct women ghost 11 shoes. It provides a cushioning and soft ride to the runners, which helps to increase the performance of the runner with a smoother ride from heel to toe. The Brooks offers a neutral support type with a great level of energizing cushioning, which allows you to walk or run on the different type of roads with comfort.
These best running shoes for Supination comes with 30mm heel, 18mm toe, and 12mm differential. If you are the lady who is suffering from medium to high arch then the Brooks shoes provide ideal support. The upper mesh offers improved stretch and needed breathability. The synthetic overlay and conventional lace-up closure make it a lightweight option for you.
Additionally, the soft lining fabric provides a comfortable feeling due to the plush collar and tongue. The innersole of the shoe has removable foam that gives the women excellent support and comfort. The blended BioMoGo DNA provides earth-friendly BioMoGo as well as responsive DNA. The design of the shoe comes with gender friendly cushioning to present a dynamic ride.
There is a fully segmented crash pad to accommodate the foot landing and offers smoother transitions to all type of foot especially for Supination. It is accessible in ten different colors and offers multiple sizes for your convenience. The omega flexes grooves permits the runners for natural fluidity and forefoot movement.
- Available in 10 different combination colors enhance the look of the shoes.
- The rubber shoe sole provides you with excellent grip and support from heel to toe.
- The lightweight imported synthetic material offers cushioning and soft ride to all runners.
- This Brooks shoes come with blended BioMoGo DNA and cushioning design, which makes it earth friendly and gender friendly accordingly.
- It is perfect for those runners who have medium to high arch support because premium cushioning offers relief for aches.
- It is too narrow and offers snug fitting.
New Balance manufactured the best running shoes for Supination by using 100% imported textile and synthetic material. It has a rubber sole that provides an excellent grip and stability on the road and ground as well. The insole of the shoe is removable and there is a no-sew overlay. The outsole comes with grooves design, which allows the runner to move their feet freely.
The upper of the shoe is engineered with mesh and bootie construction that gives a secure and comfortable fitting for excellent performance. The bootie construction and midfoot external overlay offer you secure fitting as well as a foam collar assist to support your ankle.
The midsole of the shoe comes with ultra fresh foam, which cushions the feet at every step and toe box offer natural movement. Furthermore, the combination of synthetic material and lush cushion provides top to bottom and left to right ideal support.
The New Balance 1080v7 comes with the highest durability and the upper mesh material makes the shoes more breathable. The rubber sole increases the stability and makes it anti slippery shoes for underpronation. It also maximizes the lifespan of the shoes and makes it one of the ideal shoes for running to cover long distances.
- The outsole has a groove design, which permits the runner to move freely to cover a long
- The ultra plush foam is used in the midsole that provides a premium cushioning on every step and allows a runner for natural movement.
- It offers super snug fitting and rubber sole enhances the stability level.
- There are a removable insole and bootie construction to support your ankle.
- The superior cushioning provides the runner with great flexibility, durability, and enhances the performance level.
- Poor support for the ankles.
- It is suitable for mid arches and is not comfortable for high arches.
The comfortable and lightweight Clifton 5 women shoes are among the top candidates in our list of the best running shoes for underpronation. The midsole of the shoes is constructed by using trusted foam to gives the runner consistent cushioning. This trusted foam increases the lifespan of the shoes. The combination of adaptive and forgiving forefoot presents a smoother ride.
Furthermore, the top of the shoe is covered with a mesh material that optimizes the comfort and level of breathability. If you are looking for the great speed and more comfortable shoes than it is the ideal selection. The combination of leather and synthetic material increases the durability of the shoes.
The Meta-Rocker technology uses to construct the Clifton 5 ideal running shoes for underpronation because it is especially intended with low heel-toe differential. It offers rocking chair effects due to the sculpted outsole to encourage the performance of runners. The flat-waist geometry offers natural stability with balance cushioning.
- The top layer is covered with a mesh material that offers enhanced breathability.
- It has complete EVA midsole to give HokaOneOne cushioning shoes that increase the lifespan of the shoes.
- The use of Meta-Rocker technology makes it more popular as compared to other products because it offers a natural feeling like a rocking chair.
- It comes with a balanced cushioning to provide superior comfort, especially for the heavier runner.
- Available in two widths such as regular and wide as well as accessible in different twelve colors.
- It is not suitable for every runner because it comes with a large
The external heel of Nimbus 20 is comprised of a clutching system, which offers enhanced support and generates an enhanced heel-fitting situation. The top of the shoes is covered with a combination of FluidFit technology and stretch multi-directional mesh, which adapts the athlete foot to provide customized truly glove-like fit.
That’s not all. . . The midsole uses the FlyteFoam technology to give extraordinary back bounce and responsiveness with noticing the distance. The high-arch Plus 03 technology is also used to construct the midsole, which helps to relieve the Achilles tension. This women shoe comes with gender-specific cushioning, which offers a lower density upper layer in the midsole. This cushioning provides a great compression to the female athletes.
The seamless construction helps to minimize the potential for friction and irritation. It has discrete eyelets to create improved comfort and fitting simultaneously. The gel is infused in the rearfoot and forefoot to soothe the toe and allows you to move your foot in multiple directions as the foot transition.
- The lasting OrthoLite material offers luxurious underfoot comfort as well as brilliant moisture management.
- Asics uses the FluidRide, plus 03, and FlyteFoam technologies to construct the superior midsole, which provides responsiveness and outstanding back bounce.
- The top layer of the shoe uses the FluidFit technology and stretch multi-directional mesh to provide enhanced breathability level and customized secure fitting.
- Available in 9 different combination colors to presents trendy and stylish shoes for women.
- It does not provide an enhanced comfort level to your foot, especially toe.
- It comes with less cushioning, which is not more support to your foot and ankle.
The Mizuno designed the Wave Rider 22 shoes for the women to provide excellent comfort. The Mizuno uses the two layers of mesh to construct the upper of the shoes, which increases the comfort level as well as breathability. The cushioning Cloud-wave technology is used for giving you flawless running experience and keeping a responsive ride.
The midsole of the shoe offers a smooth and softer running experience. The rubber is used to construct the outsole that provides stability and enhances durability. Mizuno featured with the Inter-Cool to keep the shoe dry and cool. The ventilation system decreases the inside humidity and heat during activity.
In addition to that, it is available in two different colors and multiple sizes. The midsole uses the U4ic to deliver the best durability, shock attenuation, and a premium ride. It is a lightweight, responsive, well cushioned, and resilient shoes option, especially for the underpronation. The carbon X10 rubber is used to construct the outsole for longer wear.
- The shoe is comprised of a ventilation system to reduce humidity or heat and inter cool feature to keep the shoes dry and cool from shoes inside.
- You can access the Wave Ride 22 women running shoes in multiple sizes and you can choose the right size for you.
- It offers enhanced breathability with great durability.
- The manufacturer gives you an articulated heel zone, which offers a smoother
- The carbon rubber is used to design the outsole of shoe for longer wear and provides enhanced stability.
- It is accessible in limited colors.
- This shoe is suitable for the soft ride only.
5 Best Men’s Shoes Reviews
New Balance believes in performance at a practical level. Therefore, they don’t spend on celebrity endorsements. Instead NB focus on research and development to create designs that fit nicely and perform for a long time to come. When treating Supination, it is not about brand image, it’s all about product performance and M1080v7 doesn’t fall short here.
The M1080v7 from NB is available in different sizes and each of them costs differently. The best part about New Balance is you get to choose a good number of options when it comes to sizing. For this reason, fitting is not an issue with NB and due to this fact we have put this pair right on top in the men’s category. The shoes feature plenty of mesh and the construction involves 100% synthetic materials. Therefore, the pair is going to be very breathable.
The sole of these shoes involves rubber so durability is not going to be a problem either. You can easily run on hard surfaces like concrete tracks if you want to while wearing these top quality running shoes for Supination. The insole of M1080v7 is removable and you can make an adjustment according to your comfort level.
The shoes feature fresh foam in the construction and improve the overall flexibility as well. The mesh forefoot works very well with the support provided by midfoot. Luscious cushioning is the mainstay of this pair from top to bottom. It will keep your ankle and feet in the right position and prevent them from supinating.
- The M1080v7 features a sole made of rubber. It contributes significantly to keep the shoes very durable.
- The mesh and synthetic materials make the shoes extremely durable.
- Plenty of sizing options available.
- Extremely lightweight and has plenty of cushioning.
- The insole is removable so you can use it as per your convenience.
- There are not many color options here. The only option that you can go for is electric blue with Hi-Lite.
For a long time, Adidas has been considered among the top brands when it comes to performance. The best thing is you don’t have to compromise on color options here because there are so many to choose from in case of Ultraboost. It is also available in different sizes o getting the right pair for your feet is not going to be an issue at all.
Adidas has used synthetic materials and textiles in the construction of these shoes. For this reason, your feet will enjoy a sweat-free environment during your workout. Adidas has also used import quality rubber in the construction of Ultraboost soles.
Another excellent feature is that the shaft measures to be just about low-top from the arch which provides your feet with plenty of flexible room to move.
The upper of these shoes are made of Adidas’ signature Primeknit with an engineered torsion system. Why does this matter? This system is present in the midsection between the heel and forefoot area. The continental rubber used in the construction of the sole is very durable and it will meet the requirements of your daily fitness routine very well.
- Available in 9 different colors to choose from.
- Ultraboost from Adidas provides you with plenty of sizing options as well.
- The upper of this running pair features Primeknit with a top quality torsion system. It provides your feet with great support as well as a lock-don fitting.
- Adidas has used rubber in the construction of the sole of these shoes. This high-quality rubber can stand the test of time even if you wear your pair on hard surfaces.
- A blend of synthetic materials and textile keep the shoes very breathable for intense activity.
- The toe box is slightly small as compared to the rest of the shoes.
- The top of the shoe is very narrow especially if you compare it with the likes of Pureboost from Adidas.
Another option that you can choose that don’t rely on marketing or publicity stunts. Just like New Balance, Saucony also emphasizes the usability and functionality of its products. The Cohesion 9 comes in three different color combinations and a lot of sizing options for the users.
It is one of the best options to deal with Supination because the shoes feature plenty of support and cushioning. Just like most other options in our ranks, these shoes also involve a blend of synthetic materials and fabric to keep the pair properly breathable. For this reason, your feet will not sweat and there is no danger of odor development as well.
Saucony has used high-quality rubber in the construction and development of the sole of these shoes. Therefore, you can use them on most tracks for running. The supportive overlays and the mesh also contribute heavily in improving the breathability of these shoes.
It is easily one of the best options in our ranks when it comes to breathability. To keep everything flexible for your feet, Saucony has used heavy padding in the collar and tongue of these shoes. One of the best features of Saucony is that their shoes are available in a variety of price options so there is something for everyone.
- The Cohesion 9 from Saucony features shock absorption and for this reason, your pair will feel very comfortable while running.
- Cohesion 9’s upper involves synthetic and fabric materials which make these shoes high breathable.
- The toe box and the heel section features plenty of cushioning and your feet will feel very relaxed even during a sprint.
- These shoes come at a very comfortable price.
- Cohesion 9 doesn’t come with many color options.
- The rubber sole is not suitable for running on a hard surface like concrete floors or roads.
Brooks is quite popular among the people who buy running shoes for Supination and overpronation. The brand has a significant number of shoes even for plantar fasciitis runner’s knee and shin splints. Their Beast 18 is another line of running shoes specifically designed for supinators. These shoes will put your feet in a very happy place.
There is a lot of cushioning and its toe box has plenty of space in it. Seems like a very soothing and comfortable beast! It is available in two different color combinations but choosing the right size is no issue at all. The neutral arch of these shoes is best for medium or flat arches. It is an excellent option for road running because there is so much cushioning in the shoes that will keep your feet at comfort no matter how hard the surface is.
To add to that the Beats 18 looks very stylish and elegant. Brooks has used top quality materials in the construction of these shoes and durability is not going to be an issue here.
The upper of these shoes feature a lot of mesh and synthetic materials. Your feet will feel very relaxed in these running shoes due to their high breathability. There is a good amount of cushioning in the heel section as well as the toe box. Furthermore, the toe box is very roomy too. The shoes will feel very comfortable in your feet because the collar and tongue also feature a lot of padding.
- These shoes feature plenty of support and cushioning for the users.
- The collar and tongue come with a lot of padding and this keeps everything very flexible.
- The upper of the shoes boast a blend of synthetic and mesh materials to keep the environment a bit sweat-free for your feet.
- There is a lot of midfoot support because Brooks hasn’t used any sewn overlays in the construction of Beast 18.
- The only issue with these shoes is that they tend to wear out pretty quickly.
The Gel Venture 6 from Asics is available in three different color combinations and a lot of sizing options. These shoes are specially designed for underpronation/Supination. It means that there will be plenty of cushioning and support available in the Gel Venture 6.
The primary purpose of these shoes is to distribute your entire body weight and impact across the foot during your landing when you take a stride. In Supination only the outer edges of the feet take all the impact and for this reason, you face a lot of problem in running. Gel Venture 6 keeps everything steady as it tries to distribute the entire impact across the foot. This way you will not feel the entire pressure on the outer edges of your feet.
This pair of shoes is also very good for users who have high arches. Therefore, the weight of your body and the resulting impact during running will stay on the muscles that are designed to take this toll. The Rearfoot Gel technology works like a charm to provide extra cushioning to your heel section and it also absorbs a lot of shocks too.
Another good feature of these running shoes is that there are removable sockliners that you can replace with orthotic inserts according to your requirements. Furthermore, there are reversible lugs that provide excellent traction even if you move downhill or uphill on a variety of terrains. The sole features High Abrasion Rubber (Asics’ signature) and they have placed it in specific areas for excellent durability of the outsole.
- The Rearfoot Gel system of these shoes offer great cushioning and it reduces the amount of impact with each stride you take.
- There is a removable sockliner that you can easily replace with medical orthotic inserts.
- The rubber with High Abrasion features provides the outsole with an exceptional amount of durability and longevity.
- Not many color choices available here.
- These tend to wear out pretty quickly if you wear them on all terrains.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is overpronation? Is it different from Supination?
The overpronation is the opposite of Supination or underpronation. In case of overpronation during running your feet will roll inwards. In underpronation or Supination, the feet roll outwards. The similarity between both these conditions is the pain and anguish that you have to go through during running. If not corrected, both these situations can further worsen.
2. Why Supination causes a problem only while running?
Supination only causes pain when you run. During walks, your feet don’t make any trouble at all. But when you start running, your feet are making a lot of ground impact, therefore, they start to lose their cool because too much pressure is put on merely certain parts of the foot and it doesn’t get evenly distributed. So your feet start to feel the strain and it becomes a very troubling experience for runners.
3. Can I find it out myself that I have Supination?
Yes, you can find it out yourself whether you have this condition or not. You can use a wet test for this purpose. Place your feet into the water and onto a paper after that. You can judge the shape of your feet and find out whether you are a supinator or an overpronator. If you are a supinator only a part of your sole will be visible on the paper and if you are an overpronator your whole sole will be visible.
4. What should be the right size for my supinator running shoes?
Like all the running shoes, your supinator pair must fit you tightly but they should be flexible as well. The sitting should not be overly tight that it becomes too painful for you to wear. There should be enough room in the heel region. If a pair is overly loose in fitting then it can also be prone to injury. Look to buy a big size instead of a small one. If you are not sure, consider buying a half size up.
To sum it up, Ghost 11 from Brooks is the best running shoes for Supination in women category. The best pair for men is M1080v7 from New Balance. Both these pairs come with plenty of size options and you will not have any difficulty in buying the right pair for yourself. Ghost 11 is available in many color combination to suit your style while the M1080v7 offers good breathability. So both these options are excellent if you are looking to support your supination problem.
The most important thing to keep in mind when buying a running pair for your feet is your feet’s comfort. If you are not comfortable in a pair then you should ignore regardless of the fact that how sweet they look or what brand they have. You need to focus on functionality and support if you want to avoid painful running experiences.
If you think that we have missed out on something then let us know by leaving a comment below.
On your mark, go!